Vaccine Mandate Discussion
The Sweetwater Union High School District is aware of the ruling made by Superior Court regarding student Covid-19 vaccine mandates. We will be reviewing the implications of the ruling during Winter break. We anticipate releasing further information on student implementation timelines and exemptions after January 3, 2021.
On December 13, 2021, the Board considered and passed Resolution, to implement mandatory vaccination as a condition of continued instruction for in-person students and as a condition of employment for employees. Below are important documents. We will continue to update this information as communications are shared with students and staff in the coming weeks. If you have questions regarding the vaccine mandate, please email Vaccination@Sweetwaterschools.org
- Listen to the full version of Vaccine Mandate Discussion
- Listen to Dr. Taras answer questions regarding the safety of students receiving COVID-19 vaccine.
- View the Powerpoint Presentation and resolution in Implementing a Safe and Effective COVID-19 Vaccine mandate.
Staff Vaccination Mandate:
On December 13, 2021, the Board passed Resolution to implement mandatory vaccination as a condition of employment for staff. Based on this action, by February 1, 2022, all employees who have not already submitted proof of vaccination must either:
- Receive and submit proof of their first vaccination shot, with full vaccination occurring no later than March 15, 2022. (2 shots of Pfizer plus 2 weeks, 2 shots of Moderna plus one week, Johnson and Johnson one dose), or
- Submit completed documentation request to receive consideration for a religious or medical accommodation to be implemented beginning for the 2022-2023 school year; or
- Submit irrevocable intent to resign or retirement effective the end of the 2021-22
- Provide written statement of intent to be fully vaccinated by March 15, 2022.
All new employees hired on or after February 1, 2022, must be fully vaccinated as a condition of beginning their employment.
The intent form to submit your election of options 1-4 above is due February 1, 2022, will be made available after break and will need to be submitted via Infinite Campus by the impacted employees.
Staff Exemption/Accommodation Process:
Directions and forms for staff requesting accommodations as set forth in option 2 are linked below:
- Staff Medical Exemption Form – PDF
- Medical accommodations require staff to complete documentation, including certification from the doctor supervising the care leading to the need for accommodation and authorization to speak with that provider.
- Staff Religious Exemption Form – PDF
- A request for a religious exemption must be about religion. It is not about personal or philosophical beliefs, medical reasons for not wanting the vaccine or legal objections to vaccine mandates. Religious accommodations require staff to complete documentation and submit a form from their medical provider certifying they have been informed of medical considerations related to COVID-19 vaccinations. Optionally, staff may additionally submit a letter from their clerical supervisor if applicable.
Should you have questions regarding these processes, please email Vaccination@sweetwaterschools.org.
Student Vaccine Mandate and Exemption Process:
The District is aware of the ruling made by Superior Court judge regarding San Diego Unified School District’s vaccine mandate. We will be reviewing the implications of the ruling during Winter break. We anticipate releasing further information on student implementation timelines and exemptions after January 3, 2021.
More information, election and exemption forms will be made available after Winter Break.